Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

A Miracle

A Miracle English, baby! Video Lesson

Date: Feb 10 2009

Themes: Health, Religion, Romance

Grammar: Future Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When things get really bad, even people who aren’t very religious will often find themselves praying.

I bet you didn’t know that Amanda is Catholic. It hasn’t come up before. But now that one of her friends is in a coma, another has cancer and another has been kidnapped (although she doesn’t know about that one) she has set up a makeshift altar with some candles and started praying.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amanda

Amanda

Devan

Devan

Jason

Jason

Amanda:  Oh Heavenly Father, I come to you tonight, asking you to grant me the strength to help heal our brother Jason. Jason has been in a horrible accident. He’s in a coma. He cannot move his limbs. He cannot stand, he cannot dance, he cannot play Scrabble. He can do nothing. I come to you now pleading, pleading…

Devan:  Amanda! Amanda!

Amanda:  One moment.

Devan:  Amanda!

Amanda:  Sweet Lord…

Devan:  The hospital just called…

Amanda:  What?

Devan:  The hospital just called two seconds ago.

Amanda:  So?

Devan:  Jason woke up. He’s not in a coma anymore.

Amanda:  What are you talking about?

Devan:  He woke up!

Amanda:  Our Jason?

Devan:  Our Jason just woke up…

Amanda:  Our Jason woke up…

Devan:  ...like two seconds ago.

Amanda:  ...and came out of his coma.

Devan:  Yes. What are you doing?

Amanda:  Apparently, I’m creating miracles tonight.

Devan:  Oh my God, you’re OK!

Jason:  Hey!

Devan:  I’m so relieved. Oh my God, how are you feeling?

Jason:  I feel surprisingly alright.

Devan:  Really? Is anything broken?

Jason:  A few broken ribs, I have quite a headache, but, you know.

Devan:  But your mind is fine? You don’t feel any brain damage or…

Jason:  Well, I can’t remember a lot that happened right before the accident, but other than that, it’s essentially fine.

Devan:  You mean like the conversation you and Mason were having right before you fell?

Jason:  Well, that…yeah, really the last thing I remember is that we were going to watch Wayne’s World, and that’s pretty much where my memory stops.

Devan:  That’s the last thing you remember? But that was like a month ago.

Jason:  Yeah, I mean…

Devan:  That’s really the last thing you remember?

Jason:  Did I miss anything good?

Devan:  Well, I mean…do you remember that you’re my boyfriend?

Jason:  No! I don’t remember that at all!

Devan:  You don’t? We’re dating. You told me you loved me.

Jason:  Oh my…really? Wow…I’m so sorry I don’t remember. Oh my God.

Devan:  Well, are you OK with it? I mean, it means a lot to me that we’re together so I hope you still feel that way.

Jason:  Yeah, how did it happen? How did we get together?

Devan:  You know, we were bonding about Wayne’s World and I was just pretending to be Garth and it made you laugh and then you said you loved me! You did! I wouldn’t make that up.

Jason:  Well, that’s great. I come out of a coma and I have a partner.

Devan:  Isn’t that great?

Jason:  That’s great!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Future Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

What a day! Amanda is praying for Jason to get better when Devan arrives and tells her that the hospital has called and he’s OK.

Then, Devan goes to the hospital to see Jason. She discovers that he can’t remember the last month, so she tells him that they were together before his accident.

Do you think it was wrong of Devan to lie? She is deceiving a person who has amnesia and that’s mean, but the only reason Jason didn’t like her before was that she didn’t have any hair and that’s mean too.

Comments

ARYA30

ARYA30

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Really I believe to miracle…

12:31 PM Oct 07 2016 |

albert44

Barbados

ghj <a href=”http://google.com/”>hello</a>

11:46 AM Apr 30 2016 |

Staisy

Staisy

Russian Federation

Amanda is sure that  she has just created a miracle and saved Jasons life. I think, she is   a very overconfident person. It is  difficult to deal with such type of people.

09:23 PM Apr 25 2015 |

gracmum

United States

by grace
Hello, how are you doing? i hope fine and all is good to you,am miss grace,Nice to meet u dear i want to be your friend , kindly indicate your interest in me by sending mail me here my private email ( ) so my photos will send you ok. Thanks and a nice day’’’’’(grace) ( )

04:34 AM Apr 18 2014 |

Nemowhack

Nemowhack

Italy

I don’t understand.

Why God, Allah, Jeowa, Krishna, Tao, the Being, Mother Nature, Pachamama or any other manifestation of the divine (or any other things one wants to believe), should be concerned about a personal and pretentious request of us, human beings? although apparently it could be legitimized by the suffering of the ego mind.

I think we are childish in this sense by thinking that an anthropomorphous God, or whatever it is, could listen our little complaint, or our personal wishes, though we can justify them by our personal suffering.

I mean, are we thinking our lifes as to be so important to not be part of ‘life itself’? If we think to have a ‘personal life’, to be a part aside of the entirely oneness, we’d surely arise a litte ego-mind that has fear of lost it.

Life lives in us thanks to the fact that we all get it by eating and killing some sentient beings, but one day, life itself will return to ask to settle the debt. This is a perfect economic budget. God perfection! Don’t matter how it will ask to return that debt of energy so-called ‘life’.

So, life is life, and it must go ahead in its continue development and change, all the forms of life have to obey for continually evolve from ‘this’ to ‘that’.

This is the only things that really matter to the Divine one. Who are we to pretend to go out of the cycle of births and death?

07:30 AM Apr 13 2014 |

Ahshan

Ahshan

China

miracle alwalys happens to somebody who are ready for it!

09:54 PM Oct 07 2012 |

punit rana

punit rana

India

sometimes we saw a person after recovery from  coma forget some memories but in future these memories may automatically enlighten when that person starts to remember or may be after seeing any incident that will be the similar to his incident then he will face the truth…......may be it will happen with jason…...i think it will be a miracle…

02:34 PM Nov 25 2011 |

punit rana

punit rana

India

may be Devan is lying but she actually wants to recovery of jason…..as soon as possible here also Amanda was prayering for jason ,she has also a hand of saving jason…..

02:25 PM Nov 25 2011 |

Big Dream

Big Dream

Russian Federation

I think that Devan is lying! Look at her face and the way she’s talking… lol I hope later Jason will find out the truth!!!

07:03 AM Jun 13 2011 |

muhendishi

muhendishi

Turkey

First ı want to say that ı believe Allah.This miracle and god story isnt meaningful for me.=)

Devan is a really awake girl ı have ever seen.=))her behaviour will give Devan  trouble because one day jason will learn real.Devan must kidnap him to desert island for living together with love.=))) 

11:33 PM Sep 23 2010 |

*JAMES*

*JAMES*

China

congratulations

04:55 AM Sep 19 2010 |

vijay raj

vijay raj

India

great…......

11:22 AM Sep 12 2010 |

pegycove

pegycove

Germany

lets not stop hoping

09:08 PM Jun 24 2010 |

rikohyu_noogachi

Brazil

Amanda pry  alot in front of candles!
ask for the jason get out of coma, so he go out!
but he dont remember that has a girlfriend!
or the girl that he loves alot! i dont know, i think that is this! 

08:12 AM Jul 31 2009 |

joy108

joy108

China

everything is a miracle, the sun the moon, flowers fishes, birds… of course so is our life. I believe it indeed. God works everyday. If you believe in Him, He'll prove that to you. I have the experiements.

May God bless you all.

12:43 PM Mar 19 2009 |

ario2500

ario2500

fine ending: this is miracel.

11:50 AM Mar 17 2009 |

ario2500

ario2500

kukuka from ukraine

u think this word and earth is runiing without any controlling system.ther is many imagination about god.

11:39 AM Mar 17 2009 |

artgems2009

Taiwan

Relatives' saying the prayers is the source of courage

01:31 PM Mar 16 2009 |

poniko

poniko

Canada

Miracle…  for me, it won't happen. Everytime when I was praying, it won't becomes true. If there was a miracle to me, I wound definitely feel splendid.

04:28 AM Mar 14 2009 |

diddy k

Germany

miracles can happen or not…..

a friend of mine was catched by a car but she wasn't injured. so it was a miracle…...i think so

04:03 PM Mar 09 2009 |

Likes (57):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast