Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

laid back

laid back

Date: Apr 04 2002

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“Working on my album was very laid back.”
- Kid Rock, singer, talking about working on his latest album.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

relaxed; calm; comfortable

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Laid back” is a great term to know. You can use it in many different situations to describe many different things. For example, a person can be laid back. If you have a friend who is always relaxed, who never gets angry, who never worries about anything, that friend is laid back.
A situation can also be laid back. For example, if you go to a party and everyone at the party is very relaxed and mellow, that party is laid back.
A movie or song can also be laid back. For example, if you listen to a song that makes you feel calm and relaxed, that song is laid back.
Being laid back is usually a positive thing. However, sometimes being laid back is not appropriate. If you play sports, you probably shouldn’t be laid back while you’re playing. Your coach would probably get mad at you.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

””My mom is so laid back. She lets me do whatever I want. She doesn’t worry about me. The only time she ever gets mad at me is when I forget to lock the front door when I come home at night.”“

””I really liked that movie. It was totally laid back and mellow. It made me feel good to see a movie like that instead of one of those movies with guns and car chases and all of that.”“

””Let’s go over to Mark’s house. It’s totally laid back over there. We can just hang out and watch TV. It will be fun.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Laid-back means that something is relaxed or easy going.
by Silvana (Argentina)
Laid back means relaxed, taking it easy.
by Sarvar (Uzbekistan)
Laid back” means easygoing, very relaxed, and also means to calm down.
by Jialing (Tainan, Taiwan)
Laid back is not uptight or nervous. Laid back is “Do not be anxious about anything.” Laid back_means “no sweat, sweetie” – _Laid back is good for your blood pressure, if you can do it. Unless you are a brain surgeon, you should be laid back. Take it easy, man. Don’t get worked up over this, man.
by Diane (Kalispell, Montana USA)
I think ‘laid back’ here refers to ‘doing work in relaxed way’
by Prem (Chennai, India)
Laid back means relaxed, comfortable, easy.
by Lee (Memphis, Tennessee, USA)
I think ‘laid back’ means feeling comfortable or pleasure.
by Jannseu (China)

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast