Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

A bug in my soup

A bug in my soup

Date: Jul 22 2004

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

What can be more real life than finding a little part of nature in your soup? That’s right, in this real life situation, Senta finds a fly swimming in her meal. See how the waitress responds to her complaints...

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Senta

Waitress

Senta:  Eeww. Excuse me. Waitress?!

Waitress:  Oh yes ma’am. What seems to be the problem?

Senta:  Well look! There, the sting, this is my food, and I’m s’posed to eat and there’s a fly.

Waitress:  A fly? What are you talking about? Oh, that’s not a fly, that’s just pepper. We use…

Senta:  No, no, no. Look. See? It’s got the little body, got wings, it flies, it’s a fly. Well it doesn’t fly anymore…

Waitress:  I can assure you that is just a piece of pepper. That is not a fly.

Senta:  I’ve seen pepper before, this is not pepper. I ordered this food. I’m not gonna pay for this. I’m not gonna eat it. I wanna new one and I want it for free.

Waitress:  Well, let me see what I can do for you ma’am. Let me just take that back to the cook.

Waitress:  OK. Here’s your soup again.

Senta:  Well, but. What’s that? Do you? That’s an even bigger bug. Is he doin’ this on purpose?

Waitress:  Actually, that’s just another piece of pepper. I’m sorry, but that’s what we use.

Senta:  Maybe something’s wrong with your pepper. Maybe you got bugs crawling in your pepper.

Waitress:  I guess that could be a problem.

Senta:  Can I please talk to your manager?

Waitress:  I guess.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

To me, there’s nothing sicker than finding something other than food in your food. The grossest thing I have ever found in my food was a band-aid. I can assure you, I never ate at that hospital again! What’s the yuckiest thing you have ever found in your food?

Comments

mahbubeh92

mahbubeh92

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

lol

guess what, we ordered soup from a restaurant, meanwhile we wanted to serve it, my dad found a worm in it, eww, then my dad called the restaurant to complain about it. 

the worm might have been in lettuces.

08:41 AM Apr 10 2018 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I’ve just found a cartoon that gave me some laugh :)

fly in my soup cartoons, fly in my soup cartoon, fly in my soup picture, fly in my soup pictures, fly in my soup image, fly in my soup images, fly in my soup illustration, fly in my soup illustrations

11:16 AM Sep 02 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Camaro, the raw chicken is awful, but medium steak is not that bad

06:34 PM Feb 25 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

It brought me back to the song by Alanis Morissette, “Ironic” which is not quite ironic :)

Hey, yiah, yiah…

It’s a black fly in your Chardonnay.

That’s a bad luck and the guy who has it, will fish it out or will ask to change for another glass and here, all of a sudden,  the manager of the restaurant goes: ’ Now, ladies and gentlemen, who will find a fly in his/her glass of wine, is the winnter of $ 1,000 000!” Oops, that’s ironic, the fly is gone, the glass of Chardonnay is clean. So, sometimes to have a fly or another “friendly creature” in your beverage is not that bad ;)

06:28 PM Feb 25 2012 |

1 person likes this

Camaro

Camaro

Germany

I had ordered a deep-fried chicken in a restaurant. But the chicken was nearly raw. You know, that tastes verry bad. The waiter would to bring me a new dish, but I was so nauseated. I couldn’t no more eat on those day.

04:55 PM Feb 25 2012 |

1 person likes this

AppleRome

AppleRome

Antarctica

Hahaha I found this conversation very funny! There was the bigger fly :))) hahaha niceee!!

02:10 AM Feb 21 2012 |

tutorheatherSuper Member!

United States

Gross, right?

There are a lot of comedy sketches about having a fly in one’s soup on American television.

I have never had it happen, but recently I had a hair in my salad. It was rather unappetizing. Luckily, the restaurant was responsive to the situation, and gave me a credit. They offered to bring me a new dish, but the hair situation turned my stomach (made me feel sick). I was in no mood to eat.

Heather Cook, M.Ed.

03:10 PM Feb 20 2012 |

xingwjin

xingwjin

China

My friend has ever found a snake  in his food. I think it is the grossest thing!Foot in mouth

02:57 PM Feb 20 2012 |

lalind_lanna

Thailand

i found hair or fly in the food, i can not eat anymore. i think the taste of food changed if i even attempt it 

Laughing

05:11 PM Jan 25 2012 |

An-china

An-china

Germany

The yuckiest is u find a bug in ur soup, but the sicker is u find half of his body in ur soup(means u ate the other half)

09:27 AM Jun 13 2011 |

vague2008

vague2008

Yemen

its so disgusting 2 find a bug swimming in ya bowl

04:54 AM Oct 10 2008 |

vague

vague

Yemen

actually ,that may happen in real life,i guess its a hard situation to be in,but the one should be more polite when getting into such a situation when talking 2 the waitress or manager

08:49 PM Mar 16 2008 |

teddy008

teddy008

China

ah,I often find the hair and other sick thing in my food in college refectories.

06:45 AM Feb 17 2006 |

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast