Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Saying Goodbye

Saying Goodbye

Date: Jan 12 2010

Themes: Friend, How To

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

See you later. Farewell. ‘Til we meet again. Ciao. In every language, there is more than one way to say goodbye. There are formal and informal, warmer and colder, shorter and longer types of goodbyes. But the hardest goodbyes come when you have to say goodbye forever to someone you care about. Anyone who has ever moved away, lived abroad, or gone to school in a different city has probably experienced at least one of these sad farewells.

Mason recently had to say goodbye to a close friend of his. Listen to him tell Beren how he dealt with it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Beren

Beren

Mason:  I had a good friend move away recently, and I hate saying goodbye to friends when they’re gone for a long time.

Beren:  And why do you hate saying goodbye, just like the actual goodbye, like what do you say? Do you want it to be drawn out or quick and painless, or…

Mason:  Well, there’s kind of two kinds of goodbyes. There’s just like, “Hey, goodbye, I’ll see you sometime within a week or a month or whatever.” And then there’s the big send off, where it’s like I don’t know when the next time I’ll see you again…you know?

Beren:  That’s always hard because you need to make it special but you don’t want it to be too drawn out and not have it over with.

Mason:  Yeah. It’s mostly the big ones that I’m just terrible at.

Beren:  So did you guys have a farewell party?

Mason:  We did, we went out for drinks. But then that was awkward too because it was like all these other friends of this friend that I don’t know, so I didn’t get to feel like I had an intimate moment with this person to really like, you know…

Beren:  Say goodbye.

Mason:  Say what I wanted the way I wanted.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Recently, one of Mason’s good friends moved away. There was a goodbye party for him, but Mason felt like he didn’t have a chance to say a special farewell. Mason hates saying goodbye because he never knows what to say or how to say it.

Some goodbyes are easier to say. It’s not hard to say “See you later” to someone whom you know you’ll see again soon. But when you or someone you love leaves town for good, the goodbye gets more painful and complicated.

There are different ways to handle those tough goodbyes. Some people like to slip away without making a big fuss, while others like a long, drawn-out farewell. Some throw big going away parties and others try to have private, one-on-one goodbyes with each person they care about.

Have you ever had to say a difficult goodbye? What is the best way to say goodbye?

Comments

sdsffg

Albania

This was truly an intriguing point and I kinda concur with what you have specified here!  assisted living in west monroe

05:06 PM Aug 31 2017 |

mahtab49

mahtab49

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I dont think saying goodbye is difficult like before!

Now there are many ways to see or talk with friends and people we love when they are far from us!

I know it is different when you communicate by phone or video calls but at least you miss them less than time we just had one way to call them per month or per week!

But for me saying goodbye from my mom when she was in hospital and we were waiting to lose her forever was the worst one and also was very painful!

I never forget the last night of her life. I hugged her , kissed her with tears.

I asked her to forgive me and asked God to let her go to release her from all pains she had for 5 years.

I knew it was the last time I could touch her and see her!

After that painful moment ,saying goodbye with anyone can hurt me because when you know someone is living somewhere safe and sound it makes you happy!

Today is my dear mom’s Birthday too!

Rest in peace  🌷💝

05:05 AM Jun 21 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Yes, I have already had to say a painful goodbye!

It is sad, we never think that it will happen to us, I got a nice bond with a girl from Florida once, and after two years she was forced to leave, because her father was a military and had somewhere else to go serving.

The best way to say goodbye is with tears of happiness in your eyes and joy in your heart <3

09:35 AM Jun 20 2017 |

1 person likes this

nilou75

nilou75

we want or not ! every things has end , so one day wil come that we all should say it . what nice idea that we start to learn to express it in best way and finish it with great memory

02:22 PM Mar 28 2017 |

1 person likes this

parmis5820

It’s really hard for me saying goodbye . Saying goodbye usually is happend . sometime you abandon your job or your school and you should say goodbye. I had experienced it. At first it was very hard , but it will be a habbit.

08:49 PM Sep 27 2013 |

1 person likes this

fabsir

fabsir

Brazil

I had a friend move away recently too. We had a going away party and though it was a bit drawn out it was cool. We had a big movie screen set up where pictures of the best moments together were shown, we had people making a speech and some shed tears. I don´t feel comfortable with goodbyes and I don´t think there´s a best way to say it. When the moment comes you sort of improvise it and make it more natural if off the top of your head.

03:43 PM Jul 18 2013 |

wanggail

China

drawn-out farewell is just not for me. I would rather keep the feelings to myself. It is really hard to say goodbye to friends, especially the really loved ones… For me, it happened every once a year in the last 4 years… Hate that feeling! But time will heal…. 

02:11 PM Feb 02 2013 |

1 person likes this

nonoseven

nonoseven

China

I hate say goodbye to friends..

01:46 PM Feb 02 2013 |

lakshmiravindran

India

Nice and i like the way of saying goodbye. I had experienced it.

09:03 AM Oct 30 2011 |

1 person likes this

iostreamax

iostreamax

Philippines

I had experienced it. And the way I did to say it is that I gave her my warmest hug with tears dropping from my eyes.

05:24 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

rui885462

rui885462

China

i just said bye to my love ….i know this time theres gona be no back ….

04:23 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

lufo du

lufo du

China

yeah, it’s not easy for me to say goodbye, especially when someone you care so much and have little chance to meet again

03:56 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

I like your way of saying goodbye.

03:34 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

mangojoy

mangojoy

United States

I’ll be honest. I haven’t yet found the best way to say goodbye. Goodbyes are often quite difficult for me. I find myself often bouncing back and forth between awkward goodbyes that are too short and awkward goodbyes that probably have over-extended their welcome. :) Even though experimentation is a part of life for all of us, I’d like to get better at saying goodbye in a more graceful, harmonious and painless way, if that is possible.

03:07 AM Sep 26 2011 |

Learner of Life

Indonesia

I can say good bye for others by my words, but actually I never can say it by my heart…. As I believe that meeting and separating is just a part of this life, sometimes we have to stay away and the other time we will stay close…

So, just keep in mind that there is no separating that will last forever… So, for me, the meaning of the words “good bye” is we need time to meet again with the one that in the certain time we have to stay away in distance, but not in the heart.

02:06 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

Yes! It’s difficult to say goodbye with someone that I care. Sometime I don’t say any word but my tear begin to fall so it’s mean  a farewell from me.

01:54 AM Sep 26 2011 |

1 person likes this

4EVER

4EVER

United Arab Emirates

when someone close to  my heart wants to travel,i can’t say Goodbye without tears..for that,i hate those two words..

07:22 PM Sep 23 2011 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

SO far I haven’t said good bye to anyone, It must be very hard and I wish I never come this experience Laughing

02:04 PM Sep 21 2011 |

lynn lam

lynn lam

China

i  have no chance but to say goodbye to my  best friends..couse i have  to go college at another city and now i feel so alone,is sad..we are away from eachother:(

07:26 AM Sep 21 2011 |

foz12

foz12

Saudi Arabia

many times I said goodbye its so hard to say it

it just I can't stand it I really bad person when I say goodbye to my best friend

so many crying tears that look that saying I don't know when will the next time

I will see her but I belive that all a live people will meet one day

if not in paradies I hope
 so I hate this word so much !!

05:15 PM Aug 07 2010 |

1 person likes this

Likes (52):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace