Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Vaccinations
Vaccinations

Learn English with this immunizations English lesson

Date: Oct 17 2018

Themes: Family, Health, Travel

Grammar: Present Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Vaccinations are a hot topic in the United States. While many Americans choose to get them for their children, a growing number have concerns about artificial immunizations. To attend a public school, however, a child has to see a doctor to get vaccinated. It’s not a surprise, then, that people have developed strong opinions on the subject.

Choosing to skip vaccinations doesn’t mean that there are parents who don’t want to eradicate terrible diseases. Many believe that children are at risk of developing autism, for example, if they choose to vaccinate them. Religious beliefs are another reason that parents would rather not do it. In the end, each family gets to decide what they want to do. There is no easy answer.

Find out what Marni and Lily think about the safety of vaccinations in this English lesson about worldwide health.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Lily

Lily

Marni:  I’ve been thinking a lot about my son. I just had to go to the doctor recently, and they wanted to do all of these immunizations. I’m just not really comfortable with them.

Lily:  Really? Why?

Marni:  I have a lot of concerns that they’re just not very safe. I think it could be putting him more at risk getting him immunized than I could be not doing it.

Lily:  I don’t know about you, but I was immunized as a kid against measles and mumps and polio, and all of the other things, you know? As far as I know, I’ve never gotten measles, mumps or polio. It’s good to make sure that you’re protected against things.

Marni:  I do think that it’s important to try to eradicate certain diseases, but I think there could be an argument made for over-immunizing people and doing too many immunizations at once.

Lily:  You’ve also got to remember, too, that in an elementary school especially, kids are susceptible to all sorts of illnesses. Isn’t it kind of putting other people’s kids at risk if you don’t immunize your kid as well?

Marni:  That’s a good point. There are a lot of fears out there about immunizations causing autism. I need to just do some more research.

Lily:  Me, too.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Lily are having a serious conversation about vaccinations. Marni doesn’t feel comfortable with getting them for her son because she’s not sure they’re safe. She’s worried that immunizations could put him at risk for diseases or maybe even autism. Marni doesn’t feel like she knows enough about vaccinations to make a decision, and that’s kind of scary to her.

Lily really wants to understand Marni’s point of view. She remembers getting vaccinations for measles, mumps and polio as a child, and she points out that she’s never gotten any of those diseases. She also says that if Marni doesn’t get vaccinations for her son, that puts his classmates at school at risk. Marni admits that Lily’s made a good point, but she still wants to study vaccinations more before she makes a decision.

Should kids have to get vaccinations, or should families be able to choose? How do people feel about it where you live?

Comments

Uvercinka_

Uvercinka_

Turkey

Let me reply with a movie called The Constant Gardener.

09:47 AM Oct 18 2018 |

modaher

modaher

Iraq

Yes it is necessary to vaccinate children

03:41 AM Oct 17 2018 |

1 person likes this

julito

julito

Argentina

As Marni, i also have my concerns  that that we  are putting our kids  at risk  by  injecting  them  the new vaccines  that greedy pharmaceuticals  strongly advocate  as  preventive to   diseases.  I have read in the internet  that  well-known doctors  disclaimed  the necessity  of these new vaccines . For instance : the new vaccine against cervical cancer  in young  women , they are more at risk  if they get vaccinated  than by refusing it.  A lot of controversy  on this  subject. Who is right, who is wrong ???  

10:16 AM Oct 26 2013 |

jef_maiko

jef_maiko

Brazil

I think that is very very important to get vaccinations for our kids. They will protect them against many kinf od diseases. And all the kids must be vaccineted in the right time. If you little babies,  so it is important pay close attention..

03:05 PM Oct 25 2013 |

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

vaccinations help our children from susceptible deceases.

11:06 AM Oct 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

Ngubo Sixtus

South Africa

we do vaccinations because they prevent children from susceptible deceases.

11:04 AM Oct 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

In my country (Congo) vaccinations are more frequent.

Parents are supposed to get their children vaccinated to avoid some diseases as:

• Measles

• Polio

• Mumps

Theses illnesses can let someone with disabilities you know ? Even autism

That’s why it’s good for children to get vaccinations.

10:13 AM Oct 25 2013 |

Switzerland

Vaccination is painful 

08:59 AM Oct 25 2013 |

ALISAKI

ALISAKI

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

its one of my childhood fears

05:48 AM Oct 25 2013 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson: