Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

look up to

look up to

Date: Oct 18 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Family

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“There are several women that I really admire. My mom has been there for me, and I really look up to her because of how much she’s been through and how strong she is.”

Singer Demi Lovato, talking about women she admires

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

admire somebody; want to be like a person

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Think about what you do when you look up to something. You tilt your head back, you open your eyes really wide, and you stare at whatever it is you’re looking at. When you look up to see something, it means that object is not at the same level as you are. It’s higher than you, so you have to move your head to see it.

When you look up to a person, it’s also usually somebody who is on a different level than you are. It could be someone who has more power than you do, like a boss, a coach, or a celebrity. Additionally, it could be someone who simply has more life experience than you do, such as your father or grandmother. These people have done something with their lives that you like and maybe want to copy, so you look up to them.

Singer Demi Lovato looks up to her mom. She says that her mom has gone through a lot of hard times, but she’s stayed committed to her daughter through all of it, and Demi respects her for that.

Who do you look up to? Do you think anyone looks up to you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I look up to my older brother because he is kind and successful.”

“They all looked up to their boss because he treated his employees fairly and respectfully.”

“Janet looks up to her mom because of how much volunteer work she does in the community.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

GWTA admire or respekt someone
by GWTASuper Member!
Feel admiration for
by saturnitinerant
Manu4 Get inspiration from somebody, to admire
by Manu4
dilek23 look up to means respect a lot or revere...you esteem so much that you can kneel before him or her
by dilek23
a2020 Respect.
by a2020
to admire or respect
by mahdi_asadi
alexa1 respect
by alexa1
appreciate
by hameed621
 julito She has great respect for her mother.
by julito
showing respect
by fuzzywuzzy
cubi1604 respect
by cubi1604
look up to is like put a lot respect on someone deserves it for his or her presence.
by tri wuryani
Hadiss I guess it means to have somebody as your leader , someone who you try to be like him or her
by Hadiss

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Press1

Press1

Aruba

I look up to people who have the strength and persistence to achieve just about anything they have on their bucket list.

03:22 PM Oct 18 2018 |

leilahavaneh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i look up to people who have self confidence enough n  can turn their lives in difficult situations

03:58 AM Apr 11 2014 |

1 person likes this

ahmet55

ahmet55

Germany

I look up to my father for interfering among people by the use of tact without hearting anybody’s feeling in the bazar. Besides, I admire my professor with regards to a great deal of hardworking associated with his keen mind which convert him as a successful man in my field with high discipline. 

On the other hand some other people look up to me also. I don’t know why, u have to ask them if u want to know but they do.

07:51 PM Mar 18 2014 |

1 person likes this

helko

helko

Germany

I look up to people who have a good self-control, and be faithfully in all situation.

Someone who is a realy good friend.

11:31 AM Mar 16 2014 |

1 person likes this

raybanbcn

raybanbcn

Spain

I look up to the good people, there are people that helps to others without wait anything to change.
In my country there are a lot of people that have lost their homes, and there are people that help to these people with serious problems.
I think that we have look up to this kind of people and football players, singers or actors.

10:50 PM Mar 13 2014 |

sandraa95

sandraa95

Sweden

i really confuse when i wanna choose a specific role modle ..as u see there are many many idols around us but we cant choose just one of them and live our life based on him or her. i dont look up for a certain petson i always try to choose their acts and behaviors that i like!
it can be as for clothing, talking, gestures, sound .. studing ..any thing that u realize.. i just choose.. my role model is my collection of behaviors that i see around me in which i choose them before.

09:44 PM Mar 13 2014 |

eduard12

eduard12

Ecuador

well well well i look up to my parents they are so brave i mean i don`t know how they could stand me but recognize they are great being humans and i really look up to so much

09:00 PM Mar 13 2014 |

alexa1

alexa1

Saudi Arabia

when i were a kid i look up to my parents , when i get older i look up to my teachers, and after that you educate yourself by books, and you find a lot of examples who’s really want to be like them. or you are look up to someone real in your life who’s very successful in his life or he has a lot of experience. i’ll give you a strongest example to hammer it home, we are muslims and we always look up to our prophet mohammed by following his way.

i don’t know if there anyone wants to look up to me, maybe there is who’s admire  in my personality or how am i such cute girl. everything is possible :)

08:56 PM Mar 13 2014 |

am.h768

am.h768

I’d never tried to be like someone. Actually there is no specific person whom I look up to him/her. I’ve tried to see best things of everybody and learn those things, it doesn’t matter who are them and how old are them. Even there were times that my little niece made me to ponder and learn something new.

08:22 PM Mar 13 2014 |

danielle 22

Chile

i look up to Dee Snider, Eric Martin, Paul Gilbert, Joan Jett, Doro Pesh, Lita Ford, Richie Sambora,  because they keep their youth as rockers and they remain humble in my eyes. I love them! That`s why i feel a rocker one!

07:27 PM Mar 13 2014 |

1 person likes this

mausam

mausam

i look up to my love ,, he`s my hero

07:13 PM Mar 13 2014 |

skarhil

Peru

i really look up to my mother because she is strong in difficult moments i really wanna be like her in that sense , and people who say what they think and don’t repress

03:01 PM Mar 13 2014 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I really look up to Jason Derulo, he’s  my supermodel and I really wanna be like him. But apart from my idol jason Derulo, I look up to, there are also too many people that look up to me too, especially my friends and girlfriends coz I’m bright, I’m a little funny…

And the thing that really make them looking up to me because I get by in English and I’m a good singer. I identify with many people…

Englishbaby !!!

10:41 AM Mar 13 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

Recently ,I’m looking up to a man named Brandon Stanton who is the author of Humans of NewYork.He’s very amazing ,Shooting stranger in NewYork city and put short brief description.This job is very rewarding.

09:48 AM Mar 13 2014 |

1 person likes this

modaher

modaher

Iraq

Yes, I love my father and my mother, the worship of their love?

03:14 AM Mar 13 2014 |

hattomi

hattomi

Yemen

I’m looking up to those poeple who made a change in the wrong behavior of one society  .who made un ideology that made everybody happy for it .

I’m looking up to those poeple who Immortalized their names on the bright side of our history ,I really need to be like them in this period of time ,my society is going to hell ,turning to the civil war ,, and it’s because of the empty minds that have no
Principles to show them the right way ..

03:06 AM Mar 13 2014 |

AryelLanes

AryelLanes

Brazil

I’ve always looked up to those who stand up for themselves and manage to break free from the normal boring life that everyone has. It blows me away when I see someone at my age traveling the world, finding a way to make money during the trip and having fun at the same time. For example, those who live off youtube. That’s awesome! They prove a lot of people wrong when they make much more money than those who spend a whole life in a boring office full of paper. Their priority is to live it up! That’s awesome…

04:51 PM Mar 12 2014 |

Likes (23):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast