Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

all over the map

all over the map

Date: May 16 2019

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“If you were to look at my resume, you would see a lot of things that are kind of all over the map.”

Actor Don Cheadle, talking about his life experiences (BrainyQuote)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

varied, diverse; everywhere

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

All classrooms have maps. Maps teach children where their homes are within the world and who their neighbors are. Maps allow kids to dream about where they want to explore. Children are often fascinated by maps because looking at one reminds them that there is so much to see and do.

Traveling from country to country, as if you were traveling across a map, would offer a huge range of experiences. Everything from clothing, homes, and the countryside would look different. Foods and drinks would taste different. Even some smells would be unique to different countries. Your experiences would be all over the map.

If someone’s work experience is all over the map, she has worked in many different areas. If the way a friend dresses changes every six months, then his style is all over the map. If a student’s essay is confusing and poorly organized, a teacher might call it all over the map. To be all over the map is to be diverse, varied, and sometimes a little mixed-up.

Actor Don Cheadle knows that his resume seems all over the map. Perhaps he worked as a restaurant server, a librarian, and a bus driver before he became an actor! (We don’t know.) But even if Don Cheadle’s background is all over the map, it doesn’t matter. He’s a fine actor now and will continue to be one until he chooses to stop.

Is anything about your personality all over the map? Is it something that needs work, or does that make you happy?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Are those bowling shoes? Is that a cowboy hat? Your clothes are all over the map!”

“Your work experience is all over the map. What do you really want to do?”

“I don’t know how I’m feeling. My emotions are all over the map.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

My guess is that he has experienced a bit of everything.
by fcesar10Super Member!
a2020 Everywhere.
by a2020
 julito Diverse experiencies in life.
by julito
aijaciba Very wide and unfocused
by aijaciba
to be from a lot of different fields
by vixuha

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

AlexbrigoliSuper Member!

Philippines

Her explanation about the threat of global warming was all over the map. 

05:10 PM May 15 2019 |

Wasit1992

India

“The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.”

UAN Login PNB Net Banking onlinesbh BOI Net Banking

07:13 AM Apr 22 2017 |

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

Sometimes, when I’m gonna learn new topic in English, it’s all over the map for me to make a choice what I should start from.

12:54 PM May 12 2015 |

1 person likes this

notrealone

notrealone

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

if u have studied about global warming issue u can find all over the map opinions.

03:23 PM Oct 10 2014 |

1 person likes this

vik32

vik32

India

@buttrfly…thank you so much for an explaination. it really helped me.

07:25 AM Oct 10 2014 |

1 person likes this

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

When I am busy at work, my house is a mess. There are dirty dishes in the kicthch sink, messy clothes  in the clothset  and the smelling socks all over the floor.It seems that my life is all over the map.

05:53 PM Oct 09 2014 |

themasteruno

Guinea

I can’t focus on my study today.

My mind is all over the map.

05:11 PM Oct 09 2014 |

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

I ‘m all over the map .I can’t decide what to do in the future …only time shows!!

01:52 PM Oct 09 2014 |

2 people like this

buttafly

buttafly

Germany

@vik32

I’d use this typical American phrase like this:

It was really hard for me to follow her. She was all over the map with her story. (meaning she either digressed or rambled on an on..she didn’t stick to the main topic)  figurative and informal 

I really don’t like it when my daughter drops her clothes all over the map.        (meaning her clothes are widely scattered all over the house..describing a disorganized person or situation)

One of my student’s passion is to travel off the beaten tourist path. He’s been all over the map and I really admire that. (meaning he travelled the world thouroughly)

Hope this sheds some light on the dark perplexity :)

albasel1975

Germany

” all over the map ” reminds me with an expression in our Arabic culture ; when we describe something that full of many, non-related and unexpected aspects, we say ” A flower from each garden ”.... relating ” the maps ” , I do agree with the part which tells how happy the children are while looking at maps … YES ..It’s really inspiring … I remember when my father gifted me with a globe earth model to put on my desk , I used to gaze and look at it all the time dreaming to visit every country my eyes fell on, I dreamed to make a journey around the world ( but not in 80 days ) but for the rest of my life .

Fantastic lesson , accept my admiration

09:16 AM Oct 09 2014 |

judinasve

judinasve

Russian Federation

today is the Thursday but I can’t get focus on my job today. Next weekend takes my brain. Am I all over the map?

07:52 AM Oct 09 2014 |

3 people like this

vik32

vik32

India

m sorry couldn’t understand much and how can i use it in my daily life?

05:18 AM Oct 09 2014 |

Likes (19):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast