Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Adoption
Adoption

Learn English in this adoption ESL lesson

Date: Nov 20 2015

Themes: Family, Friend

Grammar: Gerunds vs. Infinitives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Would you ever want to adopt a child? Celebrities often adopt children from different countries. For example, Sandra Bullock, Halle Berry and, of course, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, have all adopted children. Many people in the US also adopt children from their own country, or sometimes, from their own city. It can be very gratifying for couples to give a home to children in need.

Despite all these adoption success stories, there are some horror stories as well. Adoption can be a scary and difficult process, especially when you are not a celebrity. Many couples prefer to have their own biological children.

Marni and Jessica are talking about adoption. Find out what they think in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jessica

Jessica

Marni:  Jessica, I feel like there’s a lot of talk among my peer group about having kids, and I just think not enough people are considering adoption.

Jessica:  That’s so true! I know there are lots of opportunities out there for adoption. I don’t know a lot about it. Everything I’ve heard… it just sounds very complicated.

Marni:  Well, I think it can be, and there are lots of different ways to approach it. I think sometimes people just think you have to jump through so many hoops...

Jessica:  Mm-hm.

Marni:  And it’s just probably not worth it. There can be complications ... all of a sudden you hear horror stories about, you thought you were going to get a child, and then the birth mother decided at the eleventh hour...

Jessica:  Yeah.

Marni:  ...that she really wanted to keep her child, which, how can you argue with that, but…

Jessica:  It sounds like there are a lot of variables that play into adoption, but it must be so gratifying to be able to provide for a child in need.

Marni:  Right. And I guess that’s what I think about it. I think that there are so many kids in this world who could use a good home, and if you’re able to provide one, what a wonderful opportunity to bring that child into your home. And, sure, it can be complicated, and maybe there’s a lot of loopholes, but, ultimately, it could just be really worth it.

Jessica:  Yeah, it sounds like something worth committing to.

Marni:  Exactly.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Gerunds vs. Infinitives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Jessica are both surprised that many people their age have not thought about adoption. There are many opportunities to adopt a child, and so many children who need a good home.

Jessica thinks that adoption can be very difficult. There are a lot of things you have to do, and a lot of loopholes. Marni agrees that she has heard frightening things about adoption. However, they both think that helping a child is more important than the risk.

Is adoption common where you live? Why do you think many people like to adopt children from other countries?

Comments

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

I think that to adopt a child is wonderful. There are many childs that need of love and a cozy home. In Italy to adopt a child is very difficult because the law control the age of the parents, if they have the moneys and if you to able to adopt the child there want many years for to have the child at home.

08:29 PM Mar 19 2017 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Any adoption is the greatest thing if it’s surrounded by love. What will be from a child you never know but what would’ve been if you gave up on him.

01:38 PM Nov 22 2015 |

tahereh

tahereh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I have two children, but i like adoptin. i think evry child is a variable of happiness and a gift to parents. biological children or not.

children are source of happiness.

06:28 AM Nov 22 2015 |

Mahtab.bp

Mahtab.bp

I remember when I was a little kid I was secretly listening to my parents conversation! :D

They were talking about one of our relatives child who were adopted and he didnt know it!

I and my brothat were very close to that boy and I was shocked when I heard that!

I told my brother about that and for years we didnt tell anyone that we know this secret! ;)

I remember for a long time when my parents punished me for a fault or didnt buy what I wanted I thought to myself that I must be an adopted kid too!!! :)))

Anyway I think it is one of the best decisions for any family to share their love and home to a kid in need.

Unfortunately I have no children and sometimes I wish I can adopt a kid and give my love to her!

In my country adoption is not easy and families have to pass a hard and long process to adopt a baby from orphanages.

Honestly I dont know why people adopt children from other countries, maybe there is no kid in need in their country! ;)

04:19 PM Nov 21 2015 |

dawod

dawod

Afghanistan

In my country some people adopt childrens. but i am didn’t.

02:35 PM Nov 21 2015 |

s11211s

s11211s

As I know adoption is common in my country, who is average or rich and have no child trend to have a child, adopt a child from orphanage.

But it seems Iranian people like to adopt children from Iran. I have never heard or read about Iranian adopt children from another countries.

02:27 PM Nov 21 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Ghost,

You seem not to have got my point. I didn’t say Allah forbid the whole process of sheltering a child. It’s just not illegal in Islam to take them for your own name as if they’re yours biologically. On the contrary it’s recommended in religion to look after orphans and take over their expenses till they grow up and become able to take over their lives properly instead of growing up in orphanages or homeless in streets which destroy any possibility to have a normal life in the future.

For the point of adoption, it’s forbidden because of legacy stuff. To prevent any further disputes on legacy between lineages and the adopted child when grown up. That’s it. But morally and religiously, it’s not forbidden at all to bring up a child that’s not yours to protect them and help them have a bright future.

01:08 PM Nov 21 2015 |

Yemeni4u

Yemeni4u

Yemen

Islam is order to do that however it is not common in Yemen. 

09:19 AM Nov 21 2015 |

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

I am Adoption fun. I am adpoted.

05:31 PM Nov 20 2015 |

MehmetKaragul

Turkey

Adoption is not common in Turkey. 

Adoption is good for childreen in need, for orphans, for childreen of war maybe. But I never understood mothers who give their child for adoption and I never will..

04:41 PM Nov 20 2015 |

Wuthering

United States

Adoption child could be disaster because you don’t know his or her brain ’s history . However , if you are rich enough , It could be no problem . 

03:27 PM Nov 20 2015 |

ghost.w0506

Germany

for those, who want an own child

adoption is a good way

but…..... no one knows, how these children will develop in future

you have similar promblems with your own children, also here, no one knows, which way they are going

12:48 PM Nov 20 2015 |

ghost.w0506

Germany

La Princesse de la vie

also in that case, you can adopt a child

and let her/him the own name. where is the risk ? Why should Allah will stop a better life/ future for an innocent child ? sorry, don t agree

In front of Allah/ God all humans need help

and adoption is part of help

12:46 PM Nov 20 2015 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

Well, in Islam it’s forbidden to adopt a child in your own name while they are not yours biologically. However bringing an orphan or homeless child home and committing to look after as if your own till they mature up is a good deed to commit.

08:41 AM Nov 20 2015 |

mohamma

mohamma

Adopting is good.

06:25 AM Nov 20 2015 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace