Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Operating Systems
Operating Systems

Learn English meaning of 'Operating Systems'

Date: Jan 16 2017

Themes: Hobbies, Tech

Grammar: Simple Future Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Apple. Android. Linux. Windows. These are some of the world’s most popular operating systems. Which one do you use? If you don’t know, then you’re probably not a techie, so let’s start from the very beginning. An operating system is the most important program on your computer. It makes all the other programs work. An operating system lets you access your pictures, music, files, and everything else.

Each operating system has issues. Windows is popular, but some users are fed up with seeing the blue screen of death. Linux is free, but it’s not very user friendly. Android is a more user friendly form of Linux, but it’s mostly just for phones and tablets. Many people love Apple, but it’s only compatible with other Apple devices and will cost you a pretty penny.

Romeo is talking to Marni about two of these operating systems. Listen to today’s English lesson to hear which one is his new top choice.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Marni

Marni

Romeo:  Marni?

Marni:  Yes?

Romeo:  Don’t judge me.

Marni:  OK.

Romeo:  I decided to switch operating systems from Windows to Apple, so…

Marni:  Oh my gosh, stop the presses. What?!

Romeo:  I know, you’re so against Apple, but I did it. I’m just, I’m fed up with, you know, all the issues that I have. The blue screen of death and antiviruses… My computer has so many issues that I have to go take it in to get fixed.

Marni:  I’m no techie, but I would say that Apple is kind of a cult. You know, you’re signing yourself up for a lot more expenses. I think PCs are just so much more user friendly.

Romeo:  Sure. I figured that since I’m getting an iPhone soon, I might as well get something that is more compatible with the iPhone. I don’t want to be plugging my phone up to a computer and then I can’t even access my photos, my audio files, my music, so might as well sync them together.

Marni:  Well, it’s going to cost a pretty penny. Are you prepared for that?

Romeo:  Yeah, sure.

Marni:  Well, good luck with your new choice.

Romeo:  Ah, thank you for being so supportive, Marni.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Simple Future Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo is fed up with Windows. His computer always has issues. And, when he sees the blue screen of death, he has to pay money for a techie to fix his computer. Romeo is getting a new phone anyways, so why not get a compatible new computer, too? He is a little worried about what Marni will think because he’s going to buy an Apple.

An Apple computer? Marni is not sure if this is a good idea. Is the new computer going to be user friendly? Also, Romeo will have to spend a pretty penny for an Apple. Is he ready for all the expenses? Romeo thinks he is. He just wants a good computer that will sync with his other devices. Marni hopes that he’ll be happy with his new Apple.

What was the last thing you spent a pretty penny on? Are you happy that you bought it?

Comments

cassidywuSuper Member!

China

I switched a laptop with Apple operating system last month, And of course,  it is pretty penny, but it’s alright, still affordable, and I would like to purchase an iPhone to sync with is a laptop.  Be frankly Apple operating system is really user-friendly. I like it very much!

02:24 PM Jan 19 2017 |

cassidywuSuper Member!

China

Could anyone explain the senstence “stop the presses”which Marni said?

07:23 AM Jan 19 2017 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

I use Windows operating system in my PCs and android on my phones for years.ı know other operating systems but ı didnt use them .

as a matter of fact, all operating systems have different plus and minus.as users,we want PCs,phones without any problem.Coz all new PC,tablet,phones are very expensive and we pay them big money .

10:53 AM Jan 17 2017 |

vanesa207

vanesa207Super Member!

Colombia

I don’t usually spend a lot of money in anything. I don’t like the pricey things, In spite of, I know that buy good quality things matter. We have to take in count to differents issues, the quality and the brand, many things cost a pretty penny only for the name. While, we can get the similar quality for less.    

I consider me a saver person, and I rather to spend the money that I save in experiences, visiting new places.

02:36 PM Jan 16 2017 |

lfacerdaSuper Member!

Brazil

I’ve a cellphone  with Android operating system.I “m not  a  techie and I haven’t had no issues yet. I think it’s user friendly.

12:45 PM Jan 16 2017 |

Tagwa

Kuwait

I’m using apple , I have I phone its easy to me ,

11:50 AM Jan 16 2017 |

king khaled

Saudi Arabia

I am using Android, because it is easy to deal with. I had Apple phone. It is very difficult and complicated for me. I hate it

09:12 AM Jan 16 2017 |

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

well, i,m a techie, i use Android because it,s cheaper and we can use it easily, its peae of cake. but apple is modrn and it has more application than other operating systems

06:20 AM Jan 16 2017 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast