Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Resumemes
Resumemes

Learn English meaning of ‘Resumemes’

Date: Jul 28 2017

Themes: Pop Culture, Work

Grammar: Verbs with "-ing"

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

This year should be great for job-seekers and employees in the United States. Some jobs are disappearing while new ones are being created. But one thing will never disappear: the internship. Internships can be controversial, but they serve a purpose. Companies hire interns to learn about their field of work. They usually are competitive and unpaid. But many young people love the opportunity to learn.

An internship may even make or break their career! For example, if you intern at Google, you could find a really great job. But it can be really difficult to create an impressive resume and make it pop. If you seem too boring, you may get lost in the employer’s process of elimination. But now, employers may not even need your resume. They may want your meme: a resumeme, to be precise.

Andy is talking about resumemes. Listen as he tells Dominique all about it in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique

Dominique

Andy_H:  Yo, Dominique. So, I was on the internet earlier today on Twitter looking at my favorite memes, you know, Doge, Lolcats, and I found the single silliest thing in the world: resumemes. This company, Mono, is literally finding its applicants to recruit interns by having them send memes in.

Dominique:  So, they basically don’t have to be smart they just have to know how to use Google?

Andy_H:  I mean, it’s the most minimalist process of elimination that I’ve ever heard. But you’re right, as long as they can write two sentences that are kind of witty and cheeky, they might get a job at this place.

Dominique:  So, you’re saying if I can make a meme and make it pop, I can be recruited, too?

Andy_H:  I mean, it’s a make or break situation, but yes, you better have a good meme!

Dominique:  With zero skills?

Andy_H:  Zero whatsoever. You don’t need to send anything in. I mean, this internship could totally be a joke.

Dominique:  I hope it is because I went to college.

Andy_H:  I know.

Dominique:  And I didn’t take any courses on ‘Memes 101.’

Andy_H:  I’m still paying off my debts and have never been asked to make a meme at my job. Oh, boy. We’ll have to wait and see.

Dominique:  I hope they crash and burn.

Andy_H:  I’ll bring the popcorn.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Verbs with "-ing"" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy was browsing through internet memes and found a resumeme. A company called Mono is recruiting interns by having them make a meme. Dominique comments that interns don’t have to be smart they just have to know how to use Google. Andy says, although it’s the most minimalist process of elimination he’s heard, she is correct. As long as the interns can be witty and cheeky, they might get a job there.

Dominique is surprised. She asks that as long as she can make a meme and make it pop, she could be recruited, too? Andy says it’s a make or break situation, but yes, she could. She just needs a meme. You don’t even need skills for the internship. Dominique hopes her college education will influence their decision. But she never learned how to make a meme in college! Dominique hopes the internship will crash and burn. Andy will bring the popcorn.

What is your favorite meme? Is it fair to judge someone on their “resumeme?”

Comments

etrix

etrix

Hungary

i like memes but this article was stupid but i can learn from this

09:44 AM Jul 29 2017 |

1 person likes this

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

That’s kinda usual things, considering the rapid diversity in all the aspects of our life. Resumemes, whatsoever.

10:36 AM Jul 28 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

I don’t understand the meaning of the “meme” exactly. 

But ,I would thought it is not fair to judge someone on their “resumeme”.  It is not fair to judge someone only by one of anything. Humankind is a complex animals, it is difficult to judge someone only by one point. 

03:23 AM Jul 28 2017 |

1 person likes this

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Well, I don’t have a favorite meme, sometimes I think memes are too stupid, sometimes I think they can be nice but judging somebody according to their resumeme is totally silly!

06:27 PM Jul 27 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Well, I don’t have a favorite meme, sometimes I think memes are too stupid, sometimes I think they can be nice but judging somebody according to their resumeme is totally silly!

06:27 PM Jul 27 2017 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast