Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Office Supplies
Office Supplies

Learn English meaning of ‘office supplies’

Date: Aug 14 2017

Themes: Hobbies, Work

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Office supplies are pretty amazing. Gone are the days of the boring yellow pencil. Today, pencils sparkle! It’s easy to spend hours in the office supply store. You can walk up and down the aisles, looking at all the staples and rubber bands. These days, even duct tape is amazing. It comes in many colors, and you can even buy duct tape that has pictures of ducks.

You can always have a store deliver office supplies to your home or office. But then you miss out on the magic of the office supplies. Going on a supply run is really fun, and nothing to get embarrassed about. Feel free to geek out over all the printers, pencils, and paper clips!

Jordin loves offices supplies, although Romeo prefers to be incognito while he does his shopping. Listen to what happens when they meet up at the office supply store.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jordin

Jordin

Romeo

Romeo

Jordin:  Well, fancy meeting you here!

Romeo:  Uh, yeah. Don’t tell anybody.

Jordin:  Why not?

Romeo:  I just need to get some rubber bands.

Jordin:  OK.

Romeo:  I should have just stolen some from work.

Jordin:  Why are you embarrassed to be here?

Romeo:  I do not do any shopping. That’s, like, just not me.

Jordin:  Oh.

Romeo:  I’d rather, like, call them and have them deliver it to my house or something.

Jordin:  Well, maybe if we walk around the store together you’ll understand the magic of office supplies.

Romeo:  Well, you see I’m, like, in a hat and sunglasses. So…

Jordin:  I know. Come walk with me…

Romeo:  I’m trying to be incognito.

Jordin:  Come walk with me!

Romeo:  All right!

Jordin:  Let’s go look at the staples

Romeo:  OK.

Jordin:  Let’s go look at the beautiful colors of paper.

Romeo:  What are you even doing here?

Jordin:  Oh, I just like to come here to look around.

Romeo:  Oh. I thought you were going to tell me you were on a supply run.

Jordin:  Nope. I just really love office supplies. Paper clips, push pins. There’s so many things to look at.

Romeo:  OK. Sure. All right, let’s walk together. Teach me all about the supplies.

Jordin:  OK. Now, check out this tape.

Romeo:  All right.

Jordin:  So, you’ve got the duct tape.

Romeo:  Uh-huh.

Jordin:  And you’ve got the clear tape.

Romeo:  Right.

Jordin:  And then you’ve got the clear tape with patterns on it!

Romeo:  Wow!

Jordin:  That’s what I’m telling you! It’s amazing!

Romeo:  I’m so glad that you opened my eyes! I’m going to come and shop here more often.

Jordin:  Yes!

Romeo:  I’m going to stock up on everything I need, and never come back.

Jordin:  Yes! Oh, wait. I misheard you.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jordin is surprised when she meets Romeo at the office supply store. Romeo says he needs rubber bands, but he is embarrassed to be seen shopping. He is going incognito so that no one recognizes him. He would much rather call the store and have them deliver his shopping to his house.

Jordin tells him that office supply stores are magic. They have staples, beautiful colors of paper, and many varieties of tape. She really loves office supplies because there are so many things to look at. Romeo says he is going to stock up on everything he needs, so that he will never have to come back. It’s possible he is being sarcastic.

When is the last time you had to buy office supplies? Do you get as excited about it as Jordin?

Comments

Dominika23

Dominika23

Poland

In past I was as excited as Jordin every time I was buying some office supplies. Now I still like to do it, I mean buy those things, but I have already so many that I try little rehab :) Also good office supplies can cost.

I buy it when I need it and probably I bought something last month like pen or something. In my opinion these days when we use so much electronic devices we don’t need office supplies as often as we used to and this is one of reasons why they need to be attractive.

05:42 PM Aug 20 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I use to buy office supplies almost every week, as an English teacher I use this stuff too much!

In fact, I do like buying office supplies, I’m amazed by the variety of products they can offer us! <3

Virtual Immersion Group on WhatsApp:
http://www.vocepodefalaringles.com.br/2017/07/grupo-de-imersao-virtual-em-ingles-vpfi.html

10:50 AM Aug 16 2017 |

hermitlady

China

I bought two bottles of glue yesterday in supermarket.  I bought some small office supplies in the office supply store usually for its convenience and cheapness such as glue , paper clips, stapes and so on.  If I want to buy the bigger office supplies, I can buy them on internet for they can deliver things to my office so that I don’t need take them myself.

No. I don’t have the feeling as Jordin in the office supply store.  I know there are many kinds of and varies of office supplies in store and so many kinds and varies that I can’t be countless and dazzled……if I don’t need them , I can’t go there to look at as Jordin….

02:03 AM Aug 14 2017 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast