Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Killer Resumes
Killer Resumes

Learn English meaning of ‘killer resumes’

Date: Sep 04 2017

Themes: Friend, Work

Grammar: Conjunctions

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Looking for work can feel like looking for water in a dry desert. Good jobs can be like mirages or hallucinations. They are there for a minute, then poof! Gone! The job market is competitive for many, many reasons. If a job seeker is smart, they will always try to improve their interviewing skills, professional skills, and resume. The employer will always see a resume first. So, how does one make a killer resume?

First, KISS. KISS means ‘keep it simple, stupid.’ This means, don’t make anything harder than it must be (people have a tendency to do this!). Just put down what is necessary. Don’t make it too busy with wacky fonts or bright colors. You don’t want to blind the employer with an ugly resume. Make sure your accomplishments shine. Then, check it over for typos and polish it up. And, presto! Your killer resume is fresh out of the oven.

Marni needs to make a killer resume. Listen to Romeo’s professional resume tips in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Romeo

Romeo

Marni:  Romeo, I am applying for a job, and I have no idea how to write a resume! It’s embarrassing, but I am clueless.

Romeo:  Don’t worry, you came to the right spot. I am the guy for the job.

Marni:  Oh, great.

Romeo:  So, the most important thing I would focus on with your resume is to make sure that you’re not doing a lot of typos.

Marni:  Oh, yeah, OK.

Romeo:  And you also want to list your accomplishments. And not your duties. And make sure you double check, not just for the typos, but for the accomplishments. Sometimes people have a tendency to forget the really small things they might have done when they were working at a job. You have worked at a job before, right?

Marni:  Yeah, well, it’s just been a little while.

Romeo:  OK, well, just be yourself and make sure that it’s not too busy. Don’t try and mix it up with different fonts and colors and make it artistic.

Marni:  Oh, OK.

Romeo:  Unless you’re looking for an artistic job, then maybe that might help you.

Marni:  Oh, OK. Well, I think I’m just going to have it pretty basic. And you know, keep it simple, but…

Romeo:  Keep it simple! KISS!

Marni:  OK, yeah.

Romeo:  So, here’s what I want you to do then.

Marni:  OK.

Romeo:  You go ahead and take some of those tips that I just gave you, bring it back to me, we’ll check it over and polish it up, and we’ll see if we can get you some work.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Conjunctions" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is applying for a job and she has no idea how to write her resume. She’s embarrassed, but she really has no clue. Romeo assures her she’s come to the right man for the job. The first tip he gives her is to make sure there are no typos. He also says to highlight her accomplishments, double check everything, and keep it simple. Marni says it’s been a little while since her last job.

Romeo says she just needs to be herself. Marni agrees; she is going to keep her resume very basic so that it’s nice to read. Romeo teaches her ‘KISS:’ Keep it simple, stupid! That means to avoid making things harder than they have to be. Marni agrees. Romeo tells her to write her resume using the tips he gave her. Then, they’ll meet up so they can check it over and polish it up.

Do you have a resume tip to share? How do you make a killer resume?

Comments

mohamma

mohamma

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Looking for job 

Isn’t bad thing in world

08:48 PM Sep 05 2017 |

kelvinduSuper Member!

China

Making your resume easy to read is the very first step. Remember no interviewer would like to spend 30 minutes reading your 10 page resume. Besides, list your accomplishments that are relevant to the job you apply for, i.e. customize your resume to meet the needs of different employers instead of using the same resume all the time. 

05:15 AM Sep 05 2017 |

Likes (10):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast