Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

up for grabs

up for grabs

Date: Aug 17 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“You know, as a comedian your body has to be – I need to think of a better term than ‘up for grabs’ – but you kind of use whatever you have to get the laugh. And if you’re worrying about how you look… Vanity is the death of comedy.”

—Writer and Comedian Amy Poehler, talking about making fun of oneself for laughs. (The Guardian)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

available

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Comedy takes a lot of bravery. Sometimes, there are things we don’t want to make fun of, even if they could be funny. Maybe, someone is overweight and doesn’t want people to laugh about it. Still, there are some comedians who will do whatever it takes to get a laugh. For them, everything, their looks, personality, and habits, is up for grabs.

In Sisters, writer and comedian Amy Poehler and costar Tina Fey do everything they can to get a laugh. In one scene, they go into a fancy clothing store and try on very small dresses. Their stomachs are poking out and they do a high five with their bellies. Amy Poehler said they did this because you can’t be both vain and a good comedian. One might say that for a “true comedian,” everything has to be up for grabs.

Can you make fun of yourself? What’s up for grabs for you?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I can’t finish my ice cream so if you want it, it’s up for grabs.”

“When you’re young, it feels like the entire world is up for grabs.”

“There is plenty of food at the party that is up for grabs.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I didn’t get too.

06:01 AM Aug 17 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

Firstly, I still don’t get the exact meaning of the slang “ up for grabs”, even though I turn to the internet for help, such as goolbe, baidu…. So , I don’t know if it is right the following comprehension:

Yes, especially when I was married, I could make fun of myself. I found it was funny to make fun of myself in the common living so that the dull and boring life became interesting.

As one of yellow skinned race, I am a little black when others are white, I always felt myself inferior. Sometime the color made me depressed deeply. I even hated myself. So the whole my adolescence  was grey.

But gradually, as the experiences of living growing, I changed the situation. Maybe, my husband and my children gave me something confident that I don’t think the color of skin is a problem. When someone say to me  ,” wow ,you are black”, I can tell him , oh, really, but, if there is no my black, how do you know your white???

What’s up for grabs for you?

Oh, what?

Black skin, isn’t it?

01:14 AM Aug 17 2017 |

1 person likes this

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter