Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Working as an Interpreter
Working as an Interpreter

Learn English meaning of ‘working as an interpreter’

Date: Oct 04 2017

Themes: School, Work

Grammar: Past Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The world is becoming a very small place. Many people now work for international companies, and your best job prospect might want you to know more than one language. But with so many different languages in the world, how can we bridge the gap? In the future, technology might help us. However, in important meetings, struggling to understand another person isn’t a good option.

Never fear! There are many impressive people who are fluent in many languages. Working as an interpreter is a valuable job for people like this. A good interpreter can help people communicate important ideas. They think on their feet and can understand many things at the same time. Working as an interpreter might be difficult sometimes, but it is also very rewarding.

Romeo speaks many languages. Listen to today’s English lesson to hear him tell Jordin about the idea he had after he ran into an old friend.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Jordin

Jordin

Romeo:  ¡Hola chica! ¿Cómo estás?

Jordin:  Hola. ¿Muy bien gracias y tú?

Romeo:  Oooo!

Jordin:  Yeah, that’s pretty much all I know.

Romeo:  Oh!

Jordin:  Yeah, I couldn’t be an interpreter.

Romeo:  So, you know how I’ve been, like, struggling really hard and trying to find a job.

Jordin:  Yeah…

Romeo:  And I ran into an old friend of mine, and he was telling me about how he makes a lot of money being an interpreter. It’s something I never would have thought of, and since I speak six different languages, I always thought…

Jordin:  Wow! I did not know that!

Romeo:  Yeah.

Jordin:  That’s so impressive!

Romeo:  Guten Tag.

Jordin:  German! Nice!

Romeo:  Привет.

Jordin:  I don’t know that one.

Romeo:  Спасибо! Yeah, I can’t believe you didn’t know that about me.

Jordin:  I didn’t know it!

Romeo:  Well, I am pretty fluent, like I said, in six different languages. And I think that a job like that would be pretty rewarding because, let’s say that I was an interpreter for, like, a court, you know, for somebody’s trial or something…

Jordin:  Um-hum, yeah.

Romeo:  They need to be able to understand what’s going on. They don’t know the court system. They don’t understand the language. And you know, I think that, because I think on my feet really well, that I’d be a perfect person to bridge the gap.

Jordin:  Yeah, that sounds like a really cool, rewarding job prospect for you.

Romeo:  Aren’t you proud of me?

Jordin:  I am proud of you!

Romeo:  No more unemployment checks!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo has had a difficult time finding a good job. However, he recently ran into an old friend who gave him a new idea. Romeo’s friend works as an interpreter and makes a lot of money. Because Romeo speaks six languages, he thinks being an interpreter would be a rewarding job. He tells Jordin about this idea, and tells her some of his favorite words in other languages.

Jordin thinks that Romeo’s new job prospect is impressive. She didn’t know that he spoke so many languages. Romeo explains that he could really help a lot of people. For example, if he worked as an interpreter in the court system, he could help people who don’t speak English understand the law. Jordin is very proud of him. She thinks this is a great idea.

Which languages are you fluent in? Would you like to work as an interpreter?

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I’m learning a bunch of foreign languages beside English, but I dare not say that I’m fluent in one of them. I still have a long way to go.

I always thought of interpreting as a job prospect for me, but it’s going to take a long while to see it happening.

10:03 AM Oct 09 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

To be honest, I’m only fluent\native in Portuguese.

I’m struggle to speak\write better in English, and I could say I have a reasonable French that allows me to perform my job. I  believe however that Englishbaby will help me to bridge the gap. Although I find working as Interpreter quite impressive, i think i’m not the best person to do it, mainly if it envolves technical english, as like do it in a court. So it will not be a job prospect for me!!

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

You know if you be able to speak foreign languages, it,s rewarding, because you can extend you knowledge and your ability to make money for your self. there is no unemployment chek in Iran. So if you are a unemployment man, you should die :/

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast