Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Drop the Ball
Drop the Ball English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘drop the ball’

Date: Oct 03 2017

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

People make mistakes. It’s a normal part of life. Some mistakes are pretty small. Like, you spilled coffee on your new shirt. Or you forgot to set your alarm, and you overslept. Other mistakes are a little bigger. Maybe, you were in such a hurry to get to work that you ended up running over your neighbor’s cat with your car. Or what about that time you totally dropped the ball and didn’t get your girlfriend a birthday present?

Dropping the ball is something we all do sometimes. When you drop the ball, this means that you forget to do something. If you are busy and have a lot of things to do, dropping the ball might be super easy. If you drop the ball, you can always try to make up for it. Flowers and chocolate might work. Sadly, though, nothing is going to bring your neighbor’s cat back to life.

Kelsey and Dominique are spending time at the river. Kelsey dropped the ball and forgot to bring the cooler. Guess who else dropped the ball? Watch and find out!

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dominique

Dominique

Kelsey

Kelsey

Andy_H

Andy_H

Dominique:  Kelsey, you had one job! Bring the cooler.

Kelsey:  I’m sorry. I was super busy.

Dominique:  Super busy?

Kelsey:  Last night, I ended up getting to bed super late, and then I woke up super late, and I forgot the cooler.

Dominique:  You totally dropped the ball.

Kelsey:  I know. But what about Andy? He can bring one.

Dominique:  I still haven’t heard from him. I called him four times, and he hasn’t answered. He’s probably on his way here. I’ll try him one more time.

Andy_H:  Hello?

Dominique:  Andy! Where are you?

Andy_H:  Sorry! I totally dropped the ball and overslept. I swear I set an alarm!

Kelsey:  Don’t forget a cooler, Andy!

Andy_H:  A cooler? I thought Kelsey was suppose to bring the cooler.

Dominique:  She forgot. You can make up for dropping the ball and sleeping in by bringing a cooler.

Andy_H:  OK. No problem. I’ll find a cooler and be right there!

Dominique:  Hurry! We want to float the river before it gets too late!

Andy_H:  OK. On it!

Dominique:  OK, bye.

Andy_H:  Wait! I just remembered… I had the craziest dream! I can’t believe I almost slept through river day!

Dominique:  You can tell us about your dreams when you get out here. Bye, Andy.

Andy_H:  This one was crazy.

Dominique:  Uh-huh. Goodbye, Andy.

Andy_H:  No! Like, super crazy!

Dominique:  ANDY! HURRY! GOODBYE!

Andy_H:  I… typical! OK… cooler, cooler…

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Kelsey and Dominique are getting ready to float the river. However, Kelsey dropped the ball. She was super busy and forgot the cooler. Kelsey suggests that maybe Andy can bring the cooler. Dominique has tried calling Andy four times, but he still hasn’t answered.

Dominique calls Andy one more time. This time, Andy answers. He also totally dropped the ball. He forgot to set his alarm and overslept. To make up for it, Dominique tells him to bring the cooler. Andy tries to tell Dominique about his crazy dreams, but she won’t have it. She just wants him to get to the river with the cooler.

When have you dropped the ball? Did you do something to make up for it?

Comments

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

I seldom drop the ball. If I do, I will just apologize.

08:46 AM Dec 13 2017 |

allenzhaojl

China

I usually drop the ball when I’m having a class and I don’t have the correct equipment – like in art class, when I bring all my science stuff by mistake. That’s so embarrassing, and I get very shy!

01:48 PM Nov 02 2017 |

1 person likes this

allenzhaojl

China

I usually drop the ball when I’m having a class and I don’t have the correct equipment – like in art class, when I bring all my science stuff by mistake. That’s so embarrassing, and I get very shy!

01:48 PM Nov 02 2017 |

scheylla

scheyllaSuper Member!

Brazil

I’ve dropped the ball when I failed a class of Fashion History at the university. I felt really bad at the time because it’s the subject I like most and I’m a little perfectionist. Luckily I’ll have the chance to make up for it in February. 

10:04 PM Oct 12 2017 |

Elisa1

Elisa1

Spain

Sometimes I drop the ball playing videogames but I don’t usually make up for it.

05:21 PM Oct 08 2017 |

DanielBorges

Portugal

I dropped the ball many times. I can say for exemple, when i get late home at night due to the work! I try to make up for and spend some extra time pampering my son.

09:50 AM Oct 03 2017 |

1 person likes this

vahid85

vahid85

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

there was a period of time i was at work and as usuall i dropped the ball bringing breakfast in the backpack so i punished myself to do not buy any food at market.

huh it worked during a month and i solved the problem.

07:11 AM Oct 03 2017 |

kelvinduSuper Member!

China

There was a period of time during which I was insanely busy and I forgot about my mum’s birthday. I totally dropped the ball. It was embrassing when my cousin reminded me that it was my mum’s birthday. I hurried to a store and bought a leather jacket to make up for it. Luckily my mum did not mind at all.

05:27 AM Oct 03 2017 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast