Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Reflexive Pronoun

britdam007

britdam007

India

An exserpt says : When the subject of the verb is the receiver of the action, the action is said to be reflected. Such verbs are used reflexively. For example, acquit, absent, avail, reconcile, amuse, resign, avenge, revenge, enjoy, exert, apply, adapt, adjust, pride, overeach etc.

1) You should avail yourself of every chance in life.

2) He resigned himself to his failure.

3) The former judge acquitted  himself very efficiently.

4) He was determined to avenge the death of his wife.

5) They enjoyed during summer vacation.

My question to  you is that the last two examples (4 & 5) didn’t use the reflexive pronoun and I’m not sure why? So I need your expertise on this please? And also I’d like to know whether the native speakers of English use reflexive pronoun in conversation English?

Best regards,

Abhishek

Bes

01:34 PM Jan 27 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Using a reflexive pronoun with “avenge” is not common. I personally have never heard it used that way before. As for sentence #5, it’s incorrect. It should read, “They enjoyed themselves during summer vacation.”

Finally, yes, native speakers of English definitely use rexflexive pronouns in conversation!

Best,

Amy

11:53 PM Jan 28 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you. In conversational English, can you please mention a list of verbs that that takes reflexive pronouns?

Best regards,

Abhishek 

07:26 AM Jan 29 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Abhishek, 

Take a look at this list. I think it will help you! http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/reflexive-and-ergative-verbs

Best,

Amy

04:08 PM Jan 31 2015 |