Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Vocabulary

Jo1Super Member!

Hungary

Hi!

I’d like to ask a question concerning vocabulary. How do you call a student (if there is any) who is responsible for education(al matters) for a certain year at university or high school? Kinda like the job “director of studies.”

Thanks in advance.

06:48 PM Mar 26 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Jo1,

Could you give me more information about what this student’s responsiblities would be? I’m not sure there was a student with this job at my university, so it would be helpful to learn a little more.

Best,

Amy

06:22 PM Mar 29 2015 |

Jo1Super Member!

Hungary

Hi Amy,

Well, actually a friend of mine asked me this question the other day. He was updating his resume. At university (we’re talking about Hungary) he’d volunteered for this job, but he wasn’t sure of the term. I told him that I would ask around, but no luck so far.

Anyway, some of his responsibilities included helping new students with the registration process at the beginning of the semester, representing the student body of the given year at meetings, relaying recommendations and opinions to the university administration on behalf of them and so on.

I know that the structure of American and Hungarian universities is different so there might not be such a student position in the States.

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Jo1

09:10 PM Apr 02 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Jo1,

Your description of his job duties makes me think that he might call himself a Student Liaison. The word liaison is French, but it’s commonly used in English. A liaison is a person who helps two groups or organizations to work together and provide information to each other. In this case, he was the liaison between the students and the university.

If it was my resume, I’d call myself a Student Liaison! :-)

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Amy

03:45 AM Apr 03 2015 |