Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Ask Ebaby! Teachers Go Super!

Grammar-3

britdam007

britdam007

India

Please choose the correct meaning of the following sentence:

If the rain had stopped we might have gone to the football match.

1) We had definitely decided to go but the rain stopped us. 

2) We were thinking of going but didn’t because of the rain.

3) We were determined to go as soon  as the rain stopped.

4) We were not allowed to go because of the rain.

Best regards,

Abhishek

05:31 AM Jun 03 2015 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

Hi Abhishek,

The closest match is that of 2) We were thinking of going but didn’t because of the rain.

Best,

Amy

03:44 AM Jun 04 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you. According to my grammar book the closest match is that of 4)We were not allowed to go because of the rain. It also says that since the modal ‘may’ denotes permission therefore option 4) is the correct option. In addition, as we all know that the modal ‘can’ denotes ability and therefore option 2) would have been the right chioce here had the sentence in question read : If the rain had stopped we could have gone to the football match.

So what do you think it should be? Please advise?

Best regards,

Abhishek

09:01 AM Jun 04 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

I stand by my understanding of the sentence, but it could be interpreted differently by different people. When we are talking about a past possibility which did not happen, then we use “might have.”

With all respect, if you have a grammar book with the answers, why ask Ebaby? Do you doubt that your grammar book is correct? I’m very curious!

Best,

Amy

04:00 AM Jun 06 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

You are right. Some of the answers in that grammar book are not correct and that is why I need to verify them with you.Can you also tell me like what would be the meaning of the sentence if ‘might have’ were replaced by ‘could have’ please?

Best regards,

Abhishek

05:45 AM Jun 06 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

If the sentence was changed to read, “If the rain had stopped, we could have gone to the football match,” it now means that the rain stopping would have given us the opportunity to go the football match. It is implied that the rain would otherwise keep us from going.

Best,

Amy

04:16 AM Jun 13 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thank you. So, what is the basic difference between “If the rain had stopped we might have gone to the football match.”  ” “If the rain had stopped, we could have gone to the football match,”? I’m confused now!

Best regards, 

Abhishek

09:23 AM Jun 15 2015 |

Teacher AmySuper Member!

United States

To me, the difference is that might have gone indicates possibility, and could have gone indicates probability. If I said might have gone, I’d be saying that the football game was one possiblity of many possible activities. If I said could have gone, I’d be saying that I was planning to go but the rain made it impossible.

Best,

Amy

01:52 AM Jun 18 2015 |

britdam007

britdam007

India

Thannk you for your response. I had no internet in my area for the last couple of days.

06:10 AM Jul 01 2015 |