Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

Past Simple & Past Continuous - for today

91patii

91patii

Poland

Hi, I have 4 sentences, which are for sure correct cause I checked them in a book from which they are…But I’d like to ask you for help, How can I explain that in this sentence it’s used PAST CONTINUOUS instead of PAST SIMPLE ?

1. I WAS HOPING to go away this weekend, but my bos gave me some work that I have to finish by Monday.

2. When I WAS LIVING in Paris, I spent three hours a day travelling to and from work.

3. I bumped into Mary lat week. She WAS LOOKING a lot better than when I last saw her.

4. I WAS PLAYING badminton four times a week before I broke my ankle.

I hope person who will help me is native speaker of English, or know English very well.

Thank you!

03:46 PM Oct 24 2011 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Knight9

Mexico

well, they are correct

08:48 PM Nov 02 2011 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

Yes it’s past continues.

08:30 AM Nov 17 2011 |

Fuad Hasan

Bangladesh

Yes These sentance are past continuous

04:39 PM Nov 29 2011 |

amal2007

Saudi Arabia

i was studying when my brother came

07:45 PM Jan 01 2013 |

rebeccapalmer

United States

English is a very important language for us to speak in! It means that its significant rules should not be ignored… They are really meaningful! http://www.check-my-essay.com/ has a couple of articles on this theme!

03:07 PM Nov 29 2017 |

emre140689

Turkey

hey is there any body here 

07:45 PM Nov 30 2017 |

TrowaB

Portugal

Hello

We use the Past Simple to talk about events that happened once in the past, or in a given time period in the past. The Past Continuous describes events that were happening around a particular time in the past.

The Past Continuous is used for actions in the past that are interrupted by actions in the past simple. Sentences 1 and 4 are good examples. The past continuous suggests a situation that goes on for some time, whereas the past simple describes situations that happen quickly.

Hope this helps 

Kind Regards

TrowaB

01:38 AM Jan 04 2018 |

anngriffin

United States

Hi! I’d highly recommend you to use http://getessayeditor.com/blog/benefits-from-using-college-essay-editing-service if you’d like to be smart, clever and have your papers written by professionals!

07:44 AM Jan 12 2018 |

ella7382

American Samoa

Evening! All these must haves are really necessary, so I share your opinion. Get well!

08:39 PM Jan 16 2018 |