Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Foros en inglés

Utiliza nuestros foros para aprender inglés. Los tablones de mensajes son ideales para preguntas y respuestas en inglés. Cuanto más contribuyas, más podrán practicar inglés con todos los miembros.

:  

Teacher Talk

Past Simple & Past Continuous - for today

91patii

91patii

Poland

Hi, I have 4 sentences, which are for sure correct cause I checked them in a book from which they are…But I’d like to ask you for help, How can I explain that in this sentence it’s used PAST CONTINUOUS instead of PAST SIMPLE ?

1. I WAS HOPING to go away this weekend, but my bos gave me some work that I have to finish by Monday.

2. When I WAS LIVING in Paris, I spent three hours a day travelling to and from work.

3. I bumped into Mary lat week. She WAS LOOKING a lot better than when I last saw her.

4. I WAS PLAYING badminton four times a week before I broke my ankle.

I hope person who will help me is native speaker of English, or know English very well.

Thank you!

08:46 AM Oct 24 2011 |

Go to the TOEFL® page >

Knight9

Mexico

well, they are correct

01:48 PM Nov 02 2011 |

CatcheR

CatcheR

Iceland

Yes it’s past continues.

12:30 AM Nov 17 2011 |

Fuad Hasan

Bangladesh

Yes These sentance are past continuous

08:39 AM Nov 29 2011 |

amal2007

Saudi Arabia

i was studying when my brother came

11:45 AM Jan 01 2013 |

rebeccapalmer

United States

English is a very important language for us to speak in! It means that its significant rules should not be ignored… They are really meaningful! http://www.check-my-essay.com/ has a couple of articles on this theme!

07:07 AM Nov 29 2017 |

emre140689

Turkey

hey is there any body here 

11:45 AM Nov 30 2017 |

TrowaB

Portugal

Hello

We use the Past Simple to talk about events that happened once in the past, or in a given time period in the past. The Past Continuous describes events that were happening around a particular time in the past.

The Past Continuous is used for actions in the past that are interrupted by actions in the past simple. Sentences 1 and 4 are good examples. The past continuous suggests a situation that goes on for some time, whereas the past simple describes situations that happen quickly.

Hope this helps 

Kind Regards

TrowaB

05:38 PM Jan 03 2018 |

anngriffin

United States

Hi! I’d highly recommend you to use http://getessayeditor.com/blog/benefits-from-using-college-essay-editing-service if you’d like to be smart, clever and have your papers written by professionals!

11:44 PM Jan 11 2018 |

ella7382

American Samoa

Evening! All these must haves are really necessary, so I share your opinion. Get well!

12:39 PM Jan 16 2018 |