Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Is atheism just an ignorance?

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

10 years ago, in the summer of 1999, in Taganrog, the ceremony of canonization of Blessed Pavel of Taganrog took place. The shrine with his holy relics was carried across the town to the St. Nikolas Church where he was to have been canonized. I was an atheist and hadn't ever been taking part in any religious ceremonies. But in that day I was duty-bound to be there. It was a clearly sunny day. There were no clouds in the sky. At the moment the canonization started, about 10 a.m., around the sun appeared an aureole. I had never seen anything of the kind before. It was like a rainbow around the sun.  At that time the sky was absolutely clear. And another amazing thing—I could look at the sun without a sunglasses or any other protective tools. The phenomenon continued somewhere for an hour. I would never believe it if I hadn't seen it by my own eyes. It was said that later at 4 p.m. over the church in the sky clouds formed a cross, but I didn't watch it because I had left that place. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_of_Taganrog

You can see the pictures here

http://pravtv.ru/pavel-taganrogskij/73-kanonizacija-blazhennogo-pavla-taganrogskogo.html

Since, I believe that religion is not an abstraction that humanity invented to explain an incomprehensible things. I understood that there is something we can't explain now and this something is closely bound up with religion.

How atheists can explain this and many others signs?

Rejecting religion, atheists show their ignorance and incapability to comprehend the diversity of the universe, including religion as one of its aspects. 

Have anybody ever encountered or heard about such a signs?

08:51 PM Jun 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

hi friends,

I agree whit Sunay:

"Why dont you describe it as an remarkable natural phenomenon than as something which is made by someone who is called God or what else. It isnt new that people are looking for reasons to understand what is sometimes happening in the nature. The human being is not still able to understand such phenomenon. Religions make it easy to describe it as it must be made by god. that s all, nothing more. Besides this belief hinders the way to understand. In that respect i am not agree with you that the atheism should just be an ignorant."

I'm not atheist and I'm not theist, I'm agnostic. I think that there are things that the human brain can't understand, like God. If some people want to belive that God is behind to the existence and the life, it's ok, for me it is not a problem.

But in my opinion religion is not the same that to believe in GOD. Religion is customs, laws, thoughts etc and monotheism is a form of religion ruled by a dominant institution who tell us how is God and what people must do. Nevertheless God is an abstract concept(word) which is on the limits of the human brain and who we never will know.

Of course atheist are not ignorant. Most of the best thinkers in the history of the humanity who improve our world were atheist. But we must remember that atheism is a form of religion which doesn't have an institution (or maybe its institution is the science) and believes that God does not exist.

regards.  

10:45 PM Feb 01 2010 |

devindernagpal

India

I feel that religion & God or existence are entirely separate dimenssions of our life.They have no connection with each other.

Our religions have no concern with the God who created the whole,they are just the tools to regulate & exploit the human mind,there is nothing religious in our religions,it is just the politics in the name of religion.Our minds conditioned to think in desired way,it makes us to feel that we are the sinners & only the Gods created by them has the capacity to forgive & liberate you.Followers to their principles are guranted heaven & non followers shall be put in hells… What great bullshit ….

To me a person is religious who respects the existence ,who smells fragnance of the flowers, tries to find the beauty & celebrates the blessing of existence ,which gave the birth to us ,anchance to enjoy all that is.

Existence has it's principles & any one who does not cope with it & don't know the way of existential phenomina is ignorant may be the follower of an religion or not makes no difference.

The God who created the whole is different from the God invented by our religions…both Gods are entirely different & opposite too. 

02:15 AM Feb 02 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

I agree with you devin:

The God who created the whole is different from the God invented by our religions…both Gods are entirely different & opposite too. 

regards 

11:52 AM Feb 02 2010 |

~MemoTheHun~

Germany

our religions

Yes, I agree man.  Dawkins grew rich :D:D:D:D

I dont know what you mean by "our religions" but I am sure you have no idea about The God you mention, so it doesnt make sense to say all religions describe The God wrong.  Or do you know The God?

12:03 PM Feb 02 2010 |

devindernagpal

India

Dear Memo,

I agree to you that I don't know the 'The existential God',It is just an idea that there may be some creating power & that beyond our languages & ideas.All is bullshit,

but

there is existence which has his own priciples of working & movements whch we can feel,see & judge by our ideas,for me it is God itself.I love living accordingly but society doesn't allow to be existential so I have to compromise with it.

Our religions have spoiled our existential way.

We may feel some benefits of our religions but that is our feeling & we are free to feel what ever we like.

05:57 PM Feb 02 2010 |